Journey Begins ……
My name is Kamil Ansari Bin Ahmad Shahrir. I am 18 years old. I am studying Tourism Management in MHM1111D in Hotel And Tourism Management Faculty and this is my student portfolio. Hope you will enjoy it.:)
Topic 1 : Getting ready to learn
- Transition from school to university
- Learning Style Inventory
Learning style inventories are designed to help respondents determine which learning stle they have .These inventories typically take form of a respondents of a questionaire that focuses on how people prefer to learn.
- I am a visual learner.Usually I prefer to uses images, pictures, colours, and maps when i am study to organize information and communicate with others.
- I am also can easily visualize objects, plans and outcones in my mind’s eye.
- I have a good spatial sense which gives me a good sense at directions.
- I can easily find my way around somewhere using maps and I rarely get lost.
- When I walk out of an elevator, I instinctively know which way that I should turn to.
Tips for better learning……
- Use colour , layout and spatial organizational in your associations and use many ‘visual words’ in your assertions instead of using words such as see , pictures , perspective , visual , and maps.
- You should use mind maps. You can use colours and pictures in place of text whenever it is possible. If you do not use the computer or laptop , make sure you have at least three or four or more different kind of colour pens.
- System diagrams also can helps you visualize the links between parts of system , such as major engine parts or the principle of sailing in equilibrium. Always replace words with pictures and use colours to highlight major and minor links.
- The visual journey or story technique helps you memorize content that is not easy to ‘see’. The visual story always approach for memorizing procedures is a good examples of this.
- You should also use peg words. Peg words and events come easily to you, however learning at least the first ten peg words. Afterwards, your ability to visualize helps you peg content quickly.
- The Swish technique for changing behaviours also works well for you as it relies on visualization.
- I am also can learn by hearing and listening . Consider it as my secondary learning style. I can uunderstand and remember things I have heard.
- I store informations by the way it sounds, and I have an easier time understanding spoken instructions than written ones.
- I also often learning by reading loud because I have to hear it or speak it in order to know it.
- As an auditory learner, I usually hum and talk to myself or others if I get bored. Peoples may thinks I am not paying attention, even though I might be hearing and understanding everything being solid.
Tips for auditory learner to learn better…..
- Sit where you can hear. For the best results, always sit in front of class whenever you go to classes.
- Have your hearing checked on a regular basis. Always go to make a medical check-up in nearby clinic or hospital in order to keep hearing in good condition.
- Use flashcards to learn new words, read them out loud. It will interact your hearin senses to memorize by storing the informations that you have heard inside the long-term memory section.
- Read stories , assignments, questions or directions out loud. It will helps you generates ideas once you unerstand the words or sentences that you have been reading.
- Have test questions read to you out loud. Because as an auditory learner , you can easily understand the meaning of the question and what thing related to the questions.
- Study new material by reading it out loud. It will trigger your brain to memorize those new informations in order to generates new ideas to helps you get a better results in examination.
Topic 2 : Goal Setting & Learning Management System
Learning Management System
This site have a lot of functional such as :
- Students can check their own exam result through here.
- A lot of assignments can be done in here.
- Discussion and forum also included for student use.
- Student also can check their total time they spend in this site.
- I – Library also provided for student use.
Topic 3 : Time Management & Organizational Skills
Fixed Commitment Calendar
Prioritized To Do – List
Job Task Analysis
The JTA is a formal process for determining what people do, under what working conditions, and with what knowledge and skills. According to Judith Hale (2000), the analysis provides data to support the development of performance standards, tests, training, and criteria to judge experience, work samples, and efforts. Usually a technical committee of subject matter experts is convened to develop the task analysis, often using the outcomes of the DACUM process.
Performance standards describe a task in enough detail to support the development of tools that will help evaluators fairly judge proﬁciency in performing a task. Deﬁning the standards is the cornerstone for developing the task analysis. A standard has three parts:
- Conditions—the context in which work is performed
- Performance—the task, behaviors, and actions involved in the work
- Criteria—the outcomes required for performance that is “done to standard”
- Do a portfolio about myself
- Describe about my learning style
- Setting goals
- State the transition from school to university
- Fixing my commitment calendar
- Analyzing job task
- Giving tips about management
- Share the strategies to develop a successful system of study
- Discussing about note – taking strategies
- Calculate my GPA and CGPA
- Create a logo and team name
- Make a cheer
- Make a video about the important places in UiTM Campus Alor Gajah
Tips To Avoid Procrastinating
- Eliminate distractions
- Use your strongest sensation to memorize things
- Set yourself deadlines
- Work when you feel most alert and efficient
- Don’t stress too much
- Eat healthy & exercise
- Get inspired and save time by asking for help
- Motivation is the key
Time Management Tips
Know your goals.
Prioritize wisely. –
Just say no.
Delegate more often.
Watch what you spend
Take care of yourself.
5 Strategies to Develop A Successful System of Study
- Start with the homework that is hardest to you. For example, if you’re taking chemistry, math, English, and Spanish. Start with Chemistry and end with English. If you start with the hardest subject, your brain will be fresh.
- Develop effective memorization techniques – You can use lists when having to memorize several things (formula). Flash cards are good for memorizing large amounts of grouped information.
- Develop critical reading skills. As students move into higher grades, they’re assigned larger and more complex reading assignments. Poor reading skills or an inability to read for important information will make these assignments a burden and undermine overall academic success
- Focus on the areas that require the most attention. Study things more if you have a hard time doing them.
- Get help. When you don’t know what to do when you have to study for something. Don’t give up––go and talk to someone about it; don’t just keep it to yourself.
Topic 4 : Memory , Learning , & Improving Concentration
Memory and Learning
Brain – The retention and information overtime / the mind stores and remember information.
Reason for forgetting
- Test anxiety
- Did not pay attention to the information
- Did not understand the information
- Did not have good strategies
Topic 5 : Taking Lecture Notes
Note – taking using Cornell Method
Topic 6 : Academic Integrity & Performance
- GPA Worksheet
Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Also represent as student’s academic achievement
- Refers to the calculated average of the letter grades a students earns in a semester
GPA = Total credit values registered and attempted in the assessment of a semester
Total credit units acquired in the same semester
To find GPA weighted by credit hours, follow these steps :
- Multiply each numeric grade value by the number of credits the course was worth
- Add these numbers together
- Divide by the total number of credits you took
- Your GPA.:)
Aidil, M. (2017, August 01). SEPANAR ROSE. Retrieved from https://srdedel77.blogspot.com/p/learning-style-inventory.html
Different Types of Learners – Visual Learners. (2017, October 02). Retrieved from http://www.workspaceaustralia.com/single-post/2017/10/02/Different-Types-of-Learners—Visual-Learners
Influential Learning Theories: Multiple Intelligences and Learning… (2017, February 03). Retrieved from http://blog.connectionsacademy.com/influential-learning-theories-multiple-intelligences-and-learning-styles/
V. (2015, June 23). Catering to Different Learning Styles in the Digital Landscape. Retrieved from https://learningyourdevelopment.com/2015/06/09/catering-to-different-learning-styles-in-the-digital-landscape/
Homeschool Curriculum for Auditory Learners. (2017, April 02). Retrieved from https://hiphomeschoolmoms.com/homeschool-curriculum-for-auditory-learners/
TheBLOG. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/barriers-to-learning
Martin, C., Larsen, E., Downes, P., Thorkelson, B., & Johnson, B. (2008, April 01). All Over It: How to Eliminate Goal-Blocking Obstacles for Good. Retrieved from https://experiencelife.com/article/all-over-it-how-to-eliminate-goal-blocking-obstacles-for-good/
Overcoming Obstacles. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pieces-mind/201605/overcoming-obstacles
The 9 obstacles that keep you from achieving your Goals. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/the-9-obstacles-that-keep-you-from-achieving-your-goals
Morin, A. (2016, July 26). 9 Things That Will Prevent You From Reaching Your Goals (and How to Avoid Them). Retrieved from https://www.inc.com/amy-morin/9-things-that-will-prevent-you-from-reaching-your-goals-and-how-to-avoid-those-c.html
The Job Task Analysis. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://irecusa.org/workforce-education/training-resources/best-practices-the-series/best-practices-2-curriculum-program-development/the-job-task-analysis/
8 Ways to Stop Procrastination and Start Studying Student Houses, Student Housing and Student Lettings UK. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://student-cribs.com/en/blog/66/8-Ways-to-Stop-Procrastinating-and-Start-Studying/
Polevoi, L. (2018, July 09). 8 Tips for Effective Time Management. Retrieved from https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/employees/8-tips-for-effective-time-management/
Time Management Tips for REALTORS – INFOGRAPHICS. (2017, August 25). Retrieved from http://therealestatetrainer.com/2015/02/22/time-management-tips-for-realtors/
Shia LaBeouf “Just Do It”. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://memesguy.com/post-timeline/shia-labeouf-just-do-it/
Concept or conceptual training, coaching or learning, study word.. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.123rf.com/photo_91634446_concept-or-conceptual-training-coaching-or-learning-study-word-cloud-in-hands-isolated.html